Monday, July 20, 2009

Mom in Town

This weekend I didn't race the Bloomington Crit, DRT Wapehani, or attend the 30th Anniversary screening of Breaking Away. Yes, I'm am one bad Bloomington cyclist. But I am a good daughter.

Actually, I'm a pretty crappy daughter, but the older I get, the harder I try to be a better one. Part of that meant not boring my mom by making her watch bike racing (except for the constant loop of TDF on the TV in the background). Instead we went to the farmer's market, took a boat tour of a cavern, replanted our backyard garden (well, she did), and did the church thing.

Jason was kind enough to coordinate my recovery block with her visit, so sticking with my training plan was relatively easy. I only had to do one hour with 5 x 1 minute on Sunday. It the first time I've ever made myself ride while my mom was visiting, so it was still kind of a big step for me. Unfortunately, I felt like crapola the whole weekend, with a sore throat and a headache, so even the short workout was rough. I also felt like a bad daughter because I fell asleep every time I sat still for pretty much the whole weekend.

It's kind of funny because Jason told me afterwards that I shouldn't force a workout when I don't feel well, and of course, he's right. Despite nearly five months of perfect adherance to my training, I'm still kind of fearful of falling off the wagon. I don't really want to be one of those people who's all caught up in their "streak" either, so I guess it's gotta break sometime.

I'm sort of breaking it tonight, since I'm switching my day off today with my easy day tomorrow (still on the recovery block), so that I can ride with Emily while she's in town. It will be good practice for me, since the next couple of weeks look like they will require even more going with the flow on my part.

No comments: