Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Gloves Are Off

It's interesting that I thought up this title during my *gasp* 70+ degree ride yesterday, where I amazingly rode with no gloves whatsoever for the first time in probably six months. It's probably even more befitting of today's events, though the temperature has dropped 40 degrees.

I'm a little weirded out, because for the second time this week, my blog-browsing netted some shocking material. I was reading this post and I realized that I am the way-back competitor referenced in the second paragraph. I don't understand the "rivalry" part.

Okay, so the reason I was reading in the first place was to see if the girl was doing the circuit race in Louisville this weekend, so maybe there is a little rivalry. However, it's my first road race ever and I not planning on "rivaling" anyone. If I can hang with the main pack the whole race and manage some semblance of a sprint at the end, I will be thrilled. It will be interesting to see how I fare against girls who I have only raced against in 'cross. Things might pan out differently without the annoying factor of grass and a lighter bike that actually fits me.

~~

As for my ride yesterday, it was really good; so good that I kept forgetting to take a picture of my ungloved hands and pasty-pale shorts-clad legs to post. I'm sure everyone's dissapointed to miss that spectacle.

It was the first without on my new "FasCalendar", and I did 3X9 minutes Sweet Spot, which is harder than tempo and easier than threshold. It went really well, and I'm pretty optimistic looking over the next four weeks' workouts. There is even a 13-hour week on the schedule in a couple of weeks and the sight of it doesn't scare the crap out of me. A year ago it would have, so that's a good sign.

No comments: