Saturday, January 17, 2009

No Drama Rodkey = Boring Blog

After my big announcement on Tuesday, I've had surprisingly little to say. The fact of the matter is that my daily routine will stay pretty much the same until February 2nd, but my perspective about it has changed a lot already.

A couple of days ago, I saw a reference to "No Drama Obama" and it made me think. It wasn't the first time I'd seen or heard this nickname, but it really resonated with me on that occasion. I realized that my new job is a great opportunity to become No Drama Rodkey. Sure it doesn't rhyme, but what really rhymes with Rodkey?

There are several reasons for this. The most obvious is that I can stop applying for jobs for the first time in four years. Yes, I've pretty much been looking the whole time, because no matter what happened, I always felt like I was behind where I "should" be. I finally feel like I am exactly where I "should" be in regard to 90% of my life.

I guess that means that cycling is less important to me than I thought (<10%), because I'm sort of okay with the fact that it is the only area of my life that is not in place now. However, I figure that with everything else in place, it will fall into place, too.

It's funny because all the times that something didn't go the the way I wanted and someone said, "It will all work out for the best", I thought it was so trite and patronizing. However, as I've reflected on the past couple of years, I've come to the conclusion that *gasp*, things have worked out for the best. The new job that I ended up with is way better than all the other jobs for which I was turned down in the last two years. Also, I'm really happy that we bought our house two years ago when we could barely afford it, because now that we have more money, we get to spend on fun stuff instead of a big mortgage. It was hard finding something decent in our price range then, but it's a perfectly good house and I'm glad we didn't spend more.

I still don't plan on telling any distressed people that "it will all work out for the best" anytime soon.

The other part of the "no drama" equation is something that I've been thinking about for a while but I haven't been able to carry out the way I wanted. Adam and I were discussing when people have "epiphanies", which was his term for when people get big ideas about training, racing, vegetarianism, etc., but don't carry them out. I agreed with him that it was annoying, although I'll admit I'm one of the world's worst offenders in this category. When I started this blog, I wanted it to consist of rousing reports of my racing adventures and my training experience of what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately, it's mostly turned into Lindsay's Big Plans and the Excuses Why They Didn't Work Out. So I'm going to try to cut down on my "epiphanies" or at least try to keep them to myself more, although the blather above sort of falls into that category.

The only problem is that I'm not sure what I'll write in mid-winter about with no races to report and no more Big Plans, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Maybe I can start taking more pictures once lobster glove season is over.

No comments: