Saturday, January 10, 2009

M.I.A.

I haven't had a lot to say this week, because last Monday I tried to get back into my plyo routine. This was the first time since I tried it in the snow back in December. I was able to put out a much better effort when I didn't have to worry about slipping on the ice. I also added some Olympic lift action afterward.

It's kind of funny, because I did 3 sets of 3 clean-n-jerk. The first two sets I just used a broom handle to get my form back since I hadn't done it several months. On the last set, I only used a ~20 pound weighted bar like might be used in an aerobics class. Nevertheless, somewhere between the plyos and the lifts, I completely trashed my body. I was so sore I couldn't walk down stairs normally until yesterday, and my abs and triceps were still somewhat sore when I woke up this morning. Crunches are a joke; explosive jumping around appears to be a much better ab workout.

~~

My experiment for the coming week (considering I don't do myself in on Monday again), is to see how I like listening to an audiobook while riding rollers. A couple of months ago, a friend/mentor from work found out that I was Harry Potter illiterate and lent me the first book of the series in CD form, so that I could listen to it on my drive to Oklahoma. When I got back I realized that I'm really over my two-year-old indoor training soundtrack and thought I'd try listening to the second book over the next few workouts. I even had the sweet blog title: "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of the Bike Dungeon" picked out to post after last Tuesday's ride. Unfortunately, I only got about 20 minutes in because my balance was absolute crap (presumably from fatigue) and I kept falling off. Hopefully, things will go better this coming Tuesday.

1 comment:

Mary Sunshine said...

Hi Lindsay,

I take my PowerAgent data .csv file and copy it into Excel often for tagging and then put it into Minitab. I have spent a lot of time analyzing various types of data....from engineering to business to health... I use the same process with my training data. It's quite fun. If ever you want to send me your .csv files I can crank them through for you, too. I've never used training peaks but I hear it's very comprehensive. I like to break things down to a very simple level so I can act on what I conclude from the session.

Mary