Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh Man

Despite the fact we're still in the middle of the Tour, the fact is that road racing season's basically over anyway. The astute rider has already written it off and begun focussing his or her attention on cyclocross. The key to a successful racing season is to always live a minimum of four months in the future, mentally-speaking. That way you can dismiss your poor performances as simple preparation. Sure, you may not get anywhere near the front of the pack in a road race this summer, but you're just trying to get some intense mileage in so you'll be ready for cyclocross season. Poor mountain bike racing is even easier to rationalize--you're just doing that to improve your bike-handling. And of course once 'cross season does begin, you're still under no pressure to get results because, really, you're just doing it to maintain your form during the off-season. With the right attitude, you can surf an entire year of racing like a great big wave of mediocrity. Winning is for dopers and sandbaggers. - BikeSnob NYC

Dude, I think he's been reading my mind. I'm actually still living 2.5 weeks in the future for the day that my class is over, but I won't lie and say that the cyclocross isn't already worming its way into my mind. I just have to keep reminding myself I'm really, really, bad at it. :)

No comments: